Friday, October 22, 2010

Sirens and Alarms

The one thing I remember as a kid was the old 12 noon siren that would blast and wine away at noon. Sure, you can see the device that makes the siren go, as it's a tall tower with megaphones sticking out. Then at noon, woooooooooooooweeeeeeeeeeeeee. But there are many different types of sirens, and some of them are really strange. I remember in the 1970's in Yappank Long Island Ny, there was a noon siren that went the usual wooooooweeeeeee, in a different tone, followed by a two tone siren that went with it in the background. I'll never forget that siren sound. But I've discovered tons of videos that show off the noon sirens from across the county, and it's fun to hear them sometimes.
Now in my school days, in the 1970's-1980's, the most common source of alarm in the schools were the fire bells. These were the large round silver colored bells, with the name Shults written in red letters on he front of the bell. Beleive me, fire drills were no picnic, as when the bell rang to break the silence with a fire drill, the echo of the bell's ring would still haunt me in my dreams. So, sometimes, I've discovered videos os people showing off their fire alarm collection or a newly installed alarm system. Mostly likely it's a buzzer with a flashing strobe light, but I still feel nostlagic for the fire alarm bells. As a fun thing, I've seen videos of fire drills that had occcured in their school and what the proceedure is like, brings back memories for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment